One of the necessities and must-haves in our homes is furniture. It wouldn’t look like a real home without furniture if you think about it. Because of that, we should be wise about what we choose to bring into our homes. Mostly, you want to be looking at what is the best fit for your taste and personality. Then the next thing would be to ask if each particular piece of furniture will fit your needs? Will it be comfortable? Most of all, will it be worth it?
There are many choices to select from, and they come in different sizes and types. Finding the right fit can definitely be challenging, especially when you are looking for a more budget-friendly option. You may find a piece of furniture that’s relatively cheap but lacks the quality you’re looking for, then you might find something else that is good quality but really pricy and out of your budget. There are some pieces that fall in between though, and a little bit of knowledge about the materials used to make the furniture can go an awful long way.
But for now, let’s talk about wood. It’s what furniture was traditionally made from, and quite a bit furniture today is still made from wood, at least in some capacity. It’s a great material for your furniture because it is tried and tested, lasts long, and often looks great.
One example is the cabinets and cupboards in our kitchens and pantries. When comes to storage, these wooden pieces of furniture always come in handy. Another example is our beds – while the frames are often metal the bed set surrounding it is usually wooden still. Nowadays, there are tons of varieties to choose from, and having a wooden bed is not only a classic style, but also something that is likely to last a lot longer than particle board.
Futons are also in demand right now because they are very useful when you have less space in your home. Then, of course, there are tables. We may be seeing tables that are made from different materials, but nothing beats a good, old-fashioned, and long-lasting wooden table.
There are different kinds of wood used to make furniture though. How can you know which types are the best for the furniture in your home? Here are some examples of types of wood that are great for furniture:
- Oak – This is the most commonly used wood for furniture and is known for its strength and attractiveness. It is also relatively inexpensive.
- Maple – Another of the less expensive hardwoods that is also aesthetically pleasing. Maple is also ideal for furniture because of its durability.
- Cherry – This is a beautiful and popular wood for furniture because of its dark color. It is one of the more expensive hardwoods.
- Pine – This is one of least expensive types of wood used for furniture. The problem is that it easily damages because of its softness.
- Cedar – This is a soft wood that is more ideal for outdoor furniture because of its natural weather-resistant properties. It also repels insects.
- Teak – This is one of the most expensive woods you can find. It is known for being highly weather resistant, so it is often used to make high-quality outdoor furniture.
- Walnut – This wood is known for its rich brown color and is often used for fine furniture. It is definitely an expensive wood.
- Mahogany – Another expensive wood that is great for fine furniture. It is known for its reddish-brown color.